Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mittens just so divine

You get a dozen for a dime (croon along with me; you know you want to. I have images of Bugs Bunny, singing to a carrot - you know this one, don't you). Well, most of the mittens have been sent off to warm little (and not-so-little) hands. There were a few bumps along the road but all said, it's been a positive experience. Knowing that you can directly help someone without them ever knowing is just magic. Knowing that one less child will have chapped hands and that s/he will be able to join their friends on the playground, make snowballs, laugh - if that doesn't convince you that the effort is worth it, your heart is made of stone.

One of my favorite quotes has always been, “Fifty Years from now… it will not matter what bank account I had … the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove… but the world will be a little better, because I made a difference in the life of a CHILD”.

We forget that sometimes,that small differences are still differences. Making a difference does not need to be extravagant or cost a lot of money. All of the yarn used for this project has been scraps from other projects. The total cost to me has been a couple of dollars (literally, $2!!!) for the clear vinyl that I used for the backs of the tote bags. Your hands can create the difference that is needed, once you push aside the thoughts that your work needs to be large, expensive or perfect to matter. To a cold child, these mittens are a small contribution that makes a huge difference. They're not perfect. They didn't cost a cent. They didn't change the world. But to that cold child,...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well written dear!

-MC